Sunday, February 1, 2009

Best Lead Dog!

For weeks Trevor had been talking about his class training for the Iditarod race (you know the dogsled race from Alaska except the dogs are kids when it's done in Idaho at Tendoy Elementary). He was so excited because he was going to be a lead dog for one of the sleds. Every night during dinner he gave us an update about the training and would talk about beating the other teams during practice. It sounded like all of the kids took it pretty seriously, when the teams were practicing at recess one of the dogs (a kid) broke loose and ran into a teacher breaking the poor teacher's arm in 3 different places.
When race day was announced Justin and I were very disappointed because we couldn't go. Justin had some very important things to do at work during that time and I had clinicals for school scheduled that day (I hate school, I can hardly wait for it to be done!). I hated telling Trev that all of his hard work would go unwatched and he would have no one in his cheering section, so I put out a call on the Sister Network to ask for a replacement. Joanna rose to the occasion and braved the cold. These are pictures that she took of the event.
Joanna said that Trev did a great job, he was the best dog there. She said that his team would have won if his musher were more athletically inclined. Apparently, she was half a field behind them yelling at them to stop. They had to wait for her to catch up while the other teams flew by.
Trev did win the best lead dog award and got a stuffed puppy as a trophy which he proudly displays on his bed. Congratulations Trevor we are so proud of you!
I am so grateful for Joanna who is always willing to support the boys. The Sister Network is such a wonderful thing, I can't count the amount of times that I have needed something and knew that I can just call my wonderful sisters and one of them is always more than willing to help. I hope that I am as helpful to them as they are to me. Thank you so much, I don't know what I would do without any of you.








2 comments:

The Horton Family said...

Awesome pictures of Trevor. He did such a great job!
And Joanna is always so awesome about helping out all over the place. She is very graciouse with her time - we certainly appreciate her as well! :)

Joanna Barrett said...

You're more than welcome--it was so fun to go and watch Trev do his thing! And you all do the same, if not more, for me!